fstab

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Tue Jul 11 23:09:22 EDT 2006

OK, now I've seen the complication.

The routine shown in my previous post for examining the fstab in order
to decide whether or not floppy or CD-rom drives exist in the hardware
worked OK previously in Ubuntu Hoary Hedgehog.

Now I have Ubuntu Breezy Badger installed and the situation is
different. Even if you have a floppy drive mounted and in use, there is
no longer any mention of it in the fstab! So the fstab can no longer be
used to discover whether or not a floppy exists in the hardware.

Examining other fstab's, there is a variation in the way the floppy and
CD-rom appear (if they appear at all).

The first word for the floppy can be
/dev/fd0

The second word for the floppy can be
/media/floppy0
/mnt/floppy
etc.

The first word for the CD-rom can be
/dev/cdrom
/dev/cdrom1
/dev/hdc
etc.

The second word for the CD-rom can be
/media/cdrom0
/mnt/cdrom
/mnt/cdrom1
etc.

In other words, there is a space here for Richard to remind us of the
lack of standardization in Linux again, even between updates of the same
distro!

Perhaps all this emphasises the practical necessity of Rev adopting my
suggestion of a single or limited set of distros for its "seal of
approval". However, this would only be appropriate after Rev Linux is in
a more stable and complete state. Or should both things be done together?

Bob