Dependence on Programming Experts

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Tue Jul 11 22:02:35 EDT 2006

On 7/11/06, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> I think Troy's on to something very important there.
>
> The key thing to remember with this proposed addition is that it's an
> ADDITION, and OPTION that one can CHOOSE to use if they like, or not if
> they don't.

Hi Richard,

I'm not wholly on board with that line of thought. Frankly, IMHO,
Rev's verbose enough, w/out having to remember all the other possible
names for doing things, etc.. In fact, last I checked, the number of
tokens was up over 1000. Very difficult for new users to learn 1000
tokens indeed.

The other issue is regarding maintenance and readability for OTHER
programmers. If there's this arcane 'other' way of doing something, it
may make it more difficult.

Lastly, at some point, adding new synonym tokens takes up resources.
Programming resources of Rev, memory resources for the engine, speed
of the engine's parsing, etc..

Though Troy's particular issue is certainly a good one (try switching
back and forth from VB to Rev!), adding a multitude of synonyms and
vernacular, IMO, only creates further road blocks to learning the
language.

best as always,
Chipp