document icon problems on OSX

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Tue Jul 11 17:01:40 EDT 2006

Josh,

I'm not the expert on this matter, but I can throw out a couple of
ideas that may help you.

1. Even when Rev successfully uses your custom icon it does not
rename the .icns file in the bundle Content/Resources folder. It's
always called Revolution.icns.

2. Check the creator type in your standalone settings for OS X. If
you are using the creator code ???? (the default, I think) it may
always show as generic app icon. You might try to see what happens if
you register a creator code with apple and recompile using the new
creator code. (See <http://developer.apple.com/datatype/>.)

3. Does the icon show up okay if you copy the file to another machine
where it has never existed? If so, there may be some kind of caching
issue on your Mac.

4. There is some way to delete the application DB on your OS X
system, but I've forgotten how to do it (anyone know?) That might fix
it.

5. I may be completely out to lunch.

HTH

Devin

On Jul 11, 2006, at 2:45 PM, Josh Mellicker wrote:

<snip> painful details </snip>

> RESULT: the icon is the generic OS X app icon
>

> Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllp!

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University