document icon problems on OSX

Josh Mellicker josh at dvcreators.net
Tue Jul 11 16:45:57 EDT 2006

I am also having icon problems:

____________________________

1.  I choose a (verified valid) icns file in the Standalone
Application Settings dialog

2. build the standalone

RESULT: the icon is the generic OS X app icon.

____________________________

Tried these four tricks:

My favorite method is to Get Info on your new app, click on the icon
in the little box, and hit the delete key. They forces the Finder to
update the file's appearance.

Another method is to zip the file, throw away the original, and then
unzip. The Finder will update the icon when the app is decompressed.

A third method is to issue an AppleScript command. The command is
"update" and you provide a file path.

You can force the icon to update in the finder by Option dragging a
copy of the application you made.  It will duplicate the app and show
the correct icon.  You then delete the original file and rename
the .copy version appropriately.

RESULT: the icon is the generic OS X app icon.

____________________________

MORE INFO:

The Info.plist file says (in part):

<key>CFBundleTypeIconFile</key>
			<string>RevolutionDoc.icns</string>

<key>CFBundleIconFile</key>
	<string>Revolution.icns</string>

so apparently Rev is not saving the name of my custom icon in the
Info.plist file.

____________________________

Looking in the Resources folder shows:

Revolution.icns
RevolutionDoc.icns

so apparently Rev is not saving the custom icons in the package.

____________________________

WORKAROUND ATTEMPT:

1.  choose "Use None" in the Standalone Application Settings dialog

2. build standalone

RESULT: the icon is the generic OS X app icon

3. force the icon to update in the finder by Option dragging a copy
of the application you made

RESULT: the icon is the blue "R"

4. rename my icon to Revolution.icns and replace the Rev icon

RESULT: the icon is the generic OS X app icon

5. Try the 4 tricks above

RESULT: the icon is the generic OS X app icon

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllp!