how the internet works : the official explanation

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Mon Jul 10 02:15:22 EDT 2006

You know, you all/we all are speaking of this in a highly rarified
environment. WE understand that there is more than one family of computer
processing chips; WE know that (a) there is more than one operating
system, and (b) what an operating system is.  Unlike a frightening number
of my non-CS major students, WE can tell the difference between a URL and
an email address; WE know what a search engine is.

Fact is, most people don't grasp any of the above.  Really.

As dumb as I am/might be, the vast majority of the consumer public is
considerably dumber still.

See "Welcome to the Internet Helpdesk" at
http://www.deadtroll.com/index2.html

I still laugh myself silly when I channel people I know into this skit...

Judy