Rev for Linux "Seal of Approval"

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Fri Jul 7 13:31:57 EDT 2006

Thanks Chipp!
Please excuse the snips, but it's the best way of answering.

Chipp wrote:
In the words of Latrell Spreewell, "I've got a family to feed!"
----------------
Most of us have a family to feed. Try doing it in a 3rd world country
(where incidentally most computer users reside) where your salary might
be between 10 and 100 times less than what it would be in the States.

Chipp wrote:
Are you willing to shell out, say $200 for such an add-on?
---------------
If I had no alternative, then yes, I would be willing to shell out $200
for such an add-on. I need it that much, but I told you that more than a
year ago. However, now I don't need to. Realbasic have bundled a browser
with their IDE for free. Not only is an embedded browser a fundamental
element in any general-purpose programming system nowadays, but it is
also necessary in order to give credibility to Rev's description of
their product as "cross-platform": after all, Windows and Mac have an
altBrowser, so how can Linux be left out? In 1998 (eight years ago) VB6
didn't have anything else built in for dealing with the Internet, but at
least they had an embedded browser. For you now to cast doubt on whether
or not you intend to provide it for Rev Linux leaves me speechless. I
suggest you take it off-list, have a nice friendly chat with Kevin, and
see what you can work out.

Chipp wrote:
If not, what is the 'right price?'
----------------
I think that you and Kevin are more qualified to work that out than I
am. The only thing I would suggest is that $200 is a bit steep. I am no
salesman, but I do know that you can either sell a few things at a high
price, or sell a lot of things at a low price. The trouble here is that
Linux is definitely an emerging market, still only comparable to the
Macintosh market in terms of numbers, but of course the Mac owners are
the richest of us all! In my view, your immediate production of the
altBrowser would represent:

a) an investment in the future;
b) a means of avoiding damage to RR, which is of course also an
investment in the future of Altuit.

All this depends on what you consider the future of Linux to be. And
also what you consider the future of Windows to be. Personally, I think
that Windows is dead, but that it will take a number of years to lie
down. This may not happen in America, but there is no doubt in my mind
about what is happening in the rest of the world - at an exponential
rate now. If it helps, just think of all those billions of Chinese,
Indians and Brazilians, an enormous - still only potential - market for
Rev and Altuit together.

Regards,
Bob