SOT: JaguarPC hosting

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Fri Jul 7 12:48:27 EDT 2006

Andre-

> I use JaguarPC everyday and with Rev, what is your problem there,
> maybe I can help...

Yes, I know you're happy with your new VPS configuration. I was also
quite happy to find that I could get rev installed as a cgi with no
problems.

My gripes re JaguarPC:

They bill themselves as the "most reliable end-to-end host". In the
three months I've been with them, my domain has gone down three times.
The most serious of these involved my entire domain (web, email, etc)
disappearing for three days.

Their "Fast, Reliable RAID Storage" failed when the server hosting my
domain crashed. The server couldn't be rebuilt, they replaced it, and
discovered there were no backups. Then, instead of putting the new
server online they proceeded to spend a couple of days fiddling with
the backup systems to see if they could recover the files.

Finally they sent out a notice telling everyone to configure their
domains from scratch again. This would have been fine if they had done
this from the start, but emails to me were bouncing during these three
days since my domain had disappeared, and there was no server online
to catch them.

And this while I was busy making preparations for the conference.

Their definition of "100% Network Uptime Guarantee" is, according to
their support techs, that *their* network will be up all the time, not
that my domain will be up and accessible. They had no problems
supporting their claim of 100% uptime during the three days my site
was offline.

They have a quaint definition of "24/7 Technical Support": seven days
a week you'll get an email answer to your question within 24 hours.
This doesn't cut it for me.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net