Dependence on Programming Experts

Dan Shafer revolutionary.dan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 17:10:39 EDT 2006

Greg......

Honest, well-informed people will differ on this point.

My reason for suggesting Squeak (and EToys) as a starting point was that
there is already a lot of sample code, working classes, demos, and even some
apps that at least head in the direction you seem to be wanting to head.

Everything Rodney says about the *language* is probably true; it's
definitely more complex than Transcript and getting your head wrapped around
object orientation can be a real adventure. But there are already a
well-designed (if somewhat clunky-looking) visual programming environment, a
robust and well-designed 3D world, an entire emerging OS (Croquet) built
around those tools, and a LOT of books and other materials available with
which to learn and master the skills. Also, I (perhaps peculiarly) find
Smalltalk as easy to read as Transcript if not easier. The syntax is quite
verbose but that is a big advantage to me.

When Rodney says, "it is REALLY unintuitive to anyone who
hasn't drunk the Smalltalk Cool Aid. Just figuring out what mouse
clicks do takes some work. Smalltalk is essentially an operating
system," I can agree with a good percentage of what he says. But, just for
example, there are close to 500 full-blown frameworks and apps available
free through SqueakMap. There are starting points and components for a
staggering array of things including servers and all kinds of other cool
stuff.

All of that reflects the maturity of a programming language and environment
that is now 30+ years old and still going strong.

BTW, Rodney is right when he says that creating *standard* user interfaces
that adopt native look and feel is still an issue in Smalltalk. That's
changing soon with the deployment of wxSqueak using wxWidgets, but for now
it's an issue. However, I had the impression from your description of what
you want to do that you're more interested in direct-manipulation interfaces
than non-standard ones and for that stuff, Squeak soars.