Dependence on Programming Experts

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 6 05:06:33 EDT 2006

Ahhh, I too like the concepts of object orientation.  Flash Actionscript
moves pretty far along this path.  Their advantage is that they have created
their own universe and all the objects are defined to work there.

Databases are also good candidates for object oriented approaches, but when
products come out that do this (Helix, Serious), they fail to deliver the
intricate power needed and fall by the wayside.

Compiling a program to work with a computer operating system is much
different, let alone more than one platform.  It is difficult to think that
you could take a trip from Seattle to Miami any time of the year in a Model
T.  The kit of 300 parts would not include disc brakes or climate control,
nor would it produce a car that could travel at 50-60 mph for hours.

Rev is more like a workshop with wonderful tools, some very powerful, some
primitive.  With this workshop you can build an amazing array of 'cars' or
buses or trailers or cabinets or furniture or refrigerators or fences or
even more power tools to build other tools and products.

Thus tools to build parts to build cars, but also tools to build tools to
build even more powerful tools to build planes and rockets.

One real world example is a web page designer who knows the craft, but
trying  using one of the hosting sites' template 'easy-to-build' tools.
Quite frustrating to have such limited options to satisfy the needs and
desires of a client.

I also know that I would not spend the hours trying to do what Scott Rossi
does with his cool stacks, and Richard Gaskin with his, and Chipp & Chris
with their products, and Sarah, Jacqueline, Ken, etc, etc.  Such complete
knowledge and experience is possible with Rev, but the years it would take
to get there!

So which areas would you build in as object oriented?

Jim Ault
Las Vegas