[OT] Market Share

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Wed Jul 5 13:47:12 EDT 2006

Richmond Mathewson wrote:

I know that the good folks at RR treat Linux as 'the third force' (and
not very forceful at that); but it does seem a pity that RR for Linux
lags behind (with some of its capabilities) RR for the 2 dominant
commercial OS families.

-----------------------------------
HEAR! HEAR!

For example:

1) Implementing the specialFolderPath functions, as already available
for Windows and Mac (with additions to cater for the varying Linux distros).

2) Giving us some means of discovering whether a floppy diskette drive
exists in the hardware (since it cannot be done by the normal 'Windows'
method).

3) Making the necessary changes so that we can use an altBrowser.

4) Providing a stable IDE (and who knows, fixing the engine so it works
in Metacard).

No doubt some colleagues who have paid for the privilege have some kind
of secret ETA for the introduction of these crucial elements, but as a
3rd-world user with only 2 Studio licences, I haven't the faintest idea
of an ETA. I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs, and I am not enjoying
myself.

Bob