Icon menu blocking standard menus

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 23:27:14 EDT 2006

> I'm trying to use the unsupported features relating to "the icon" and
> it's menu. I set it up OK and it gets populated dynamically. The
> information in the "What's New" file under "the iconMenu" has to be
> the most confusing ever written, but in fact, the menu is structured
> exactly the same as any other menu.
>
> Moving on from that, I have my menu which is constructed dynamically
> when the "iconMenuOpening" message is received. That works perfectly.
>
> Then I have an "iconMenuPick" handler that gets called whenever a
> choice is made from this icon menu. That too is working perfectly.
>
> The problem is that once I have used the icon menu, the normal menus
> no longer work. If I start up, I can use the normal menus. Then if I
> do anything using the icon menu, choosing an item subsequently from
> the normal menus has no effect.
>
> The exceptions are Preferences & Quit, but as I am using OS X, these
> have both been moved to the application menu so are slightly
> different.
>
> On testing, I found that once the icon menu had been used, every time
> I used the standard menus, the message being sent was the iconMenuPick
> message, not the standard menuPick. Even worse, the iconMenuPick
> message has no parameters in this case, so there is no way I can fake
> it.
>
> The instructions for using these unsupported features say that I can't
> bug report them, but I was wondering if anyone else had encountered
> this problem and if so, if they had a solution.

I've tried a few different things to make this work but I've finally
given up and dropped the idea. This is a shame as it worked really
well with the app I was trying it on, but it's no good if it stops
regular menus from working. It even stops me being able to paste in
the IDE, although oddly enough, cut still works OK!

Anyway, I hope my experience will save others from wasting their time
- the dock icon works fine, but don't bother trying to make a menu :-(

Sarah