[OT] XP Trouble-shooting Suggestions?

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sat Jan 21 11:20:18 EST 2006

All,

Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed a growing degredation in
my TPC's disk access times, and I wonder if anyone has any
suggestions as to how I might determine the cause.

Presently, I am setting the TPC to standby rather than shutting it
down, because shut down and startup both tend to hang with the disk
access light on.  A few days ago the "compact old files" option took
several hours to complete instead of the usual few minutes.

I suspect those fixed-position disk blocks that store system info are
going bad and many CRC errors are happening for each successful read
or write; however it's possible that I've contracted a virus or that
some other hardware error is at the root of this.

Can anyone suggest a trouble-shooting procedure that might help
isolate the problem?

T.I.A.

Rob Cozens CCW
Serendipity Software Company