Basic SQL database question

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Tue Jan 17 14:40:49 EST 2006

I have a remote PostGres database which I am testing using the
Database Query tool.

I can connect and set the table and use the default sql select *
statement....

I have created the form and connected the fields to the table using
the property inspector. There are 3 fields - id (primary key), title
and text...

If i try to add any data - either by creating an update button or by
making the fields auto update Rev complains:

     UPDATE roles SET diz :1 WHERE id = ""

Now the primary key is set to "id" - so this should work - but should
the tool not issue an INSERT statement and not an UPDATE (there is no
data yet in the db).