Slightly Overwhelmed

SupermanSlyr at aol.com SupermanSlyr at aol.com
Mon Jan 9 03:13:05 EST 2006

In a message dated 1/8/2006 11:17:23 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com writes:

 Hello everyone, thank all of you very much for all  your help. I've managed
to learn a good deal about Revolution since I first  started. I purchased Dan
Shafer's book "Software At The Speed of Thought." An  excellent book by the
way! I've also gone over all the videos and referencing  material, but it's a
little hard wrapping my head around everything.  There's very many commands and
functions I'll never use, so it  makes it difficult finding what I need and
exactly how to use it once found.  That's always been my problem though. I
figure it'll get easier as I go.

 This is my current issue. I'm currently in school trying to obtain a
criminal justice degree. I've worked part time for school credit with a local
investigations agency. I did a few skip traces for him, and noticed his
frustration with a current program he was using. It was a very simple  looking program
to store his clients and case data. I told him I could  possibly make him a
much better one that wouldn't crash. We talked and he gave  me some ideas he'd
like in the program.

 He said he'd like to be able to store data internally into the  program
(opposed to plain txt files that can be accessed by anyone). He wants  the program
password protected, with the ability to import pictures into  the program
that are appropriate to that case file. In other words  possibly being able to
enter an individuals information and include that  subjects picture on the left
side of the report (I'm sure you've seen programs  like this in movies). He
also said he wants to be able to import  voice recordings as well. He even said
he wanted the scanning picture  effect while searching through suspects in his
database. It all  seems like pretty simple stuff to pull off. I'm sure
Revolution could  tackle this. I'm just still trying to get over this learning
curve.

 What would be the best way of saving the data into the program,  client
info, pictures, audio? I thought about custom properties, but I  haven't quite
mastered those yet. How about the scanning picture effect while  scanning through
records, how in the world would I accomplish this (why on  earth he asked for
this I'll never know...)? Also any ideas of inspiration  would be greatly
appreciated. If this works out he agreed to  give me a letter of recommendation
and help me establish  my professional contacts. In other words it could very
well change my  life. Getting my foot in the door now will insure it's open.

PS: I've often contemplated where to obtain quality  graphics for my
programs. I'm looking for background images, icons,  textures, animated menus, etc
(the whole 9 yards). Does anyone have  any recommendations on where to get
customized graphics?

Thanks again,
Regards
Joshua