Game Source Information for Rev

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 3 16:04:28 EST 2006

on Tue, 3 Jan 2006
ACR wrote:

> I recently bought my Revolution software. I am in
> the process of making a small adventure game. It is
> a point and click game, usually called a Myst clone.
> I had to choose between Revolution and Director for
> my game software. As I understand it, the first Myst
> game was make with Hypercard (Revolution).

Actually, Revolution is a superset of HyperCard,
with more commands, functions and properties
than HyperCard. You choose wisely.

Welcome to the RunRev mail list! :-)

by the way, Did you work in 3D graphics?

> Since I am new to Revolution, I am lost in a sea of
> Commands. I probably don't need to learn all of
> them, probably only a few dozen Commands for my
> game. Commands such as go to the next images,
> start/stop background sound, start/stop music, start
> a sprite, start/stop an animation, and so on and so
> on. And I will need to make some puzzles which will
> require Functions probably.

You need to practice mainly with the following
messages produced by user interaction:

on mouseup
on mouseenter
on mousemove
on mousedown

For example, i suppose that you are
going to create an image of a room,
where the user clicks on diverse parts
of the image to visit other rooms,
move objects, play music, etc...

in all these cases, you will be using
the messages that i named before.

> All I have found in user stacks so far are
> applications. Are there an adventure game stacks I
> could take apart and learn from? Are there any books
> on the subject?

Adventure game stacks, like Myst, are a type
of "Click and Go" application.
Click and go to a location or show an image, etc...
These are easy to create in RunRev, but after
you found how easy and fast it is, then you'll
start to add complexity and it's then when
"Click and Go" adventures becomes real interesting
(like the production of all the animations, sound
effects
and music that interactive content requires).

> I am starting from the beginning, so any information
> source will help.

First, Kori, define exactly how takes place the
interaction
in your game.

The more detailed are these explanations, easier will
be
to post your questions and get useful answers:

For example:

How could i click in an image of a Door and animate it
to show the door opening and showing the room inside?

answers:
1- create an animated gif of the door,
and control it by script.

2- create a series of png graphics and animate
it with the method proposed by Malte Brill.

3- create a grid of images png or gif or jpg
and animate it with the method enhanced by
Abraham Wouter.

Look for example this message thread in this page:
slight delay in animated gif loop
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2004-September/subject.html#44317>

You can look for messages of this mail list
from this page:
<http://www.google.com/advanced_search?q=site:lists.runrev.com>

Good luck and keep making questions!

al