Counting Chars by ASCI Values

Phil Davis davis.phil at comcast.net
Tue Feb 28 16:56:05 EST 2006

Hi Todd,

By high & low ASCII you mean where numeric values can be 0 to 255,
right?  This will work *IF* the 'caseSensitive' property makes A<>a:

set the caseSensitive to true
repeat for each char tChar in tDataContainer
   -- tally the occurrances of each char in an array
   add 1 to tCounts[tChar] -- no need to convert the char to a num
end repeat

After this finishes, 'the keys of tCounts' will be a list of all chars
encountered in the data, and tCounts[<anyChar>] will give you the number
of times that character occurred.

Otherwise you can work strictly with the ASCII values:

repeat for each char tChar in tDataContainer
   add 1 to tCounts[charToNum(tChar)]
end repeat

HTH -
Phil Davis