Counting Chars by ASCI Values

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 28 16:49:30 EST 2006

On 2/28/06 1:27 PM, "Todd Geist" <tg.lists at geistinteractive.com> wrote:

> I need to count the number of times a Character occurs in text
> string. The character will be high or Low ASCII.  SO I need to input
> the value as an ASCII value.
>
> Anybody have any scripts that can get me started?

Perhaps you could try setting that char as the itemdel and getting the
number of items. Caution: note that the last char of the string could be a
hit, so you need to pad the string with one extra char to be accurate.

--make a new stack, paste the following into the stack script, dblclk
on mouseDoubleUp
  put "a" into hitt
  put "anohtalj az aja ljala  a" into txt
  set the itemdel to hitt
  get the number of items in (txt&hitt)
  answer it-1
  delete char -1 of txt
  get the number of items in (txt&hitt)
  answer it-1

  --"¼"
  put "¼" into hitt
  put "anohtalj ¼az aja ljala ¼ a¼" into txt
  set the itemdel to hitt
  get the number of items in (txt&hitt)
  answer it-1
  delete char -1 of txt