On the Democratic Operation of Bugzilla

Dan Shafer revolutionary.dan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 20:49:02 EST 2006

Since I started this conversation, I figured i ought to jump back in.

In no way do I think Rev should do way with Bugzilla. Publicly
disclosing bugs is useful. And it lends an air of credibility to one's
products that is hard to attain any other way. Getting the community's
input on  what bugs are most important to fix is also a wonderful idea
and one that I'm sure informs RR's decisions about where to spend
Euros on updates. I would not want them to suspend this operation.

That said, I still think Bugzilla is too uninformative, too difficult
to use, and too obscure in the community to be as useful as it well
could be.

For openers, I'd like to see the Bugzilla database get more visibility
somehow. Perhaps on the RR site there could be a link to a listing of
the top 20 or 25 or 50 or whatever bugs. (Of course, that might not be
as positive for marketing as I'd like to see!) Maybe there could be a
mailing list on bugs and feature requests that could be a broadcast
list to which one could subscribe and which would provide regular
updates and lists. I don't know. Somewhere there's a way to approach
this.

I use RevZilla to manage my interaction with Bugzilla and I just
discovered today that if you look at voting, you can get a list of all
bugs with 1 or more votes, ranked in order by how many votes they
have. Maybe that could become the source of some more visible way to
expose Bugzilla and its contents?