Transcript and Dot Notation

Dan Shafer revolutionary.dan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 19:22:39 EST 2006

In Smalltalk, the basic principle was the use of words parsed left to
right for readability, right to left for precedence of operation.
Parameters were embedded in method calls separated with colons. So,
for example, to create a new instance of a Person object, you would
write something like:

newPerson -> Person new

Then to initialize that new object, you'd write

newPerson initialize

Let's say the initialize method needed a name and an age for the
initialization process. You might define a method called initialize
withName:withAge: In a method call, it would look like this:

newPerson initialize withName: 'Dan' withAge: 39.

In JavaScript, e.g., that might look like this:

newPerson.initialize('Dan',9);