Showing linkText on mouse over

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Fri Feb 24 12:49:12 EST 2006

Jonathan,

Thanks for the reply.

On Feb 24, 2006, at 10:19 AM, Jonathan Lynch wrote:

> The field that displays the link text needs to be placed lower than
> the
> mouseloc, so that it does not get in the way.

I'm not sure I'm following this. By 'link text' do you mean text with
link style or the linkText property of a chunk of text? What do you
mean by placing it 'lower than the mouseloc'?

> I set it up in task mage so that you can display the link, then
> either click
> the link, or move the mouse down and highlight the displayed
> linktext in
> order to copy it.

All I really need to do is display the linkText so the user knows
where the mouseClick will take them.

I actually modified my handler to add an interrupt at the beginning:

on mouseWithin
   if the mouse is down then exit mouseWithin ## interrupt this
handler to pay attention to the mouse.
   if the textStyle of the mouseText contains "link" then
     put the linkText of the mouseText into fld "status"
   else
     put empty into fld "status"
   end if
end mouseWithin

It seems to be working reliably now. Anybody know of any reason why
this approach might be a bad idea? Sort of like how we've been
encouraged not to use things like 'wait until the mouseClick'?

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University