Difficulty using shell in Ubuntu Linux

Bob Warren robertum at brturbo.com
Tue Feb 21 13:10:54 EST 2006

Dear Stephen,

Unfortunately, the decision whether to use spaces in folder/file names
is something that is generally out of my hands. In Windows, they are
used by all and sundry all the time, with absolutely no problem, and of
course Linux progressively tries to follow similar standards in order to
compete with Windows. Since I am producing software to work on other
people's computers rather than my own, I need to take the use of spaces
into account.

But have no fear, Dave Cope has been here! His solution of using escape
codes (i.e. "\ ") in command lines works like a charm, and in RR
programming terms (using REPLACE) it is very simple.

Regards,
Bob