Spell checking in Rev apps?

Jonathan Lynch jonathandlynch at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 09:38:05 EST 2006

I have apps I created for my job that do spellchecking. Works great.

What you do is load the word list into a custom property of your stack for
storage

Then use a script like this:

on preopenstack
  global gWordList
  put the listofwords of me into tList
  repeat for each word tWord in tList
    put "true" into gWordList[tWord]
  end repeat
end preopenstack

This creates a global array with each element named after each word in your
word list, with "true" as the content of that array.

Then, when you check words, you do something like this:

on closefield
  lock screen
  global gWordList
  put 0 into tCount
  repeat for each word tWord in me
    add 1 to tCount
    if not gWordList[tWord] then set the bgcolor of word tCount of me to
yellow
  end repat
end closefield

This checks, for each word in the field, to see if that word is a part of
the global array, and if it contains the word "true" ("if not" is a
shorthand way of doing that)

There are lots of nuances, of course, depending on how you want to handle
punctuation - but that is relatively straight forward text manipulation.

good luck,

Jonathan