Difficulty using shell in Ubuntu Linux

Dave Cope dave at b-i-s.org
Tue Feb 21 03:53:22 EST 2006

Bob Warren wrote:
> I now have an explanation as to why the shell in (Ubuntu) Linux seems to
> work sometimes, but not others: the HD path to the executable for
> launching MUST NOT CONTAIN BLANKS!
>
> For example, this works like a charm:
>
>   global myVar
>   put "/home/bob/Desktop/folderwithnospaces/myprog" into myVar
>   set the defaultFolder to "/home/bob/Desktop/folderwithnospaces"
>   get shell(myVar)
>
> This doesn't work at all:
>
>   global myVar
>   put "/home/bob/Desktop/folder with spaces/yourprog" into myVar
>   set the defaultFolder to "/home/bob/Desktop/folder with spaces"
>   get shell(myVar)
>
> Exactly the same thing applies to the LAUNCH command.
>
> Now what do I do?
> Any ideas anyone?
>
> Bob

Hi Bob,

This is a guess as I've not got Rev on Linux, but I do use Unix/GNU
Linux in general. When specifying spaces on the command line, they need
to be escaped.

For example: ls folder with spaces/
becomes: ls folder\ with\ spaces/

So the same might be true for Rev: put "/home/bob/Desktop/folder\ with\
spaces/yourprog" into myVar

Hope this helps
--
Dave Cope,
IT - Biodiversity Information Service for Powys

Email: dave at b-i-s.org

Tele: 01874-610881
Fax:  01874-624812

Web: http://www.b-i-s.org