SMTP Proxy in Rev?

Gordon Tillman got at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 21 00:33:14 EST 2006

Howdy Dan,

On Feb 20, 2006, at 18:05, Dan Shafer wrote:

> I have a colleague who wants to build what amounts to an SMTP proxy
> that sits between a standard email client, listens on the proper port
> for output, pre-processes email, and then sends it out to a
> pre-defined SMTP server. Minimal UI.

I imagine this would not be difficult to do so long as you are able
to specify to your client that they configure their email program to
"talk" to your SMTP proxy application.   For example, if your proxy
app is running on the same client computer as the one running the
email program they would want to update their email prefs to use
something like "localhost" as the address of the SMTP server.  That
way your Rev app would just have to listen to port 25 and be able to
speak SMTP (which is a very simple protocol).

One consideration - on any Unix-based system (including OSX), your
process must have root privileges to bind to any port under (I think)
1024...

--gordy