Switch versus if/then/else ( was: Main menu puzzle, Klaus)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Feb 20 06:28:51 EST 2006

Judy Perry wrote:
 > ...we used to use Pascal as our intro to programming course
 > language because it was developed as a teaching language.
 > Now we use C++ -- why?  Because we think it's a better teaching
 > tool of basic programming concepts?  No.  Because we've somehow
 > been convinced that in a 100-level, intro to programming course,
 > it is more important to teach the students a "real" programming
 > language rather than choose a language that is best
 > suited to teaching programming concepts _in general_.

Frightening.  So the students learn to type in C++ but not understand
what they're typing?

I'll bet the same administrators go to conferences with furrowed brows
and much hand-wringing trying to determine the cause of America's
intellectual decline, never understanding their own role in the process....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal