Two sounds at the same time!?

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Sun Feb 19 16:13:04 EST 2006

Hi Malte, hi all,

> Judy wrote;
>
>> Maybe if enough people want it, Rev will find a way to implement it.
>> Gotta let them know...
> Count me in for the wanters and here is the reason why: If you use
> multiple player objects this will work o.k. for audiofiles that are
> longer than just a few seconds. If you try to play more than 4 or 5
> (very) short audioclips (think sound effects) at the same time it
> is not quite practical. This is nothing Rev is to blame for. It is
> simply that these files need to be played back from the HD, which
> might start spinning like mad trying  to locate all the short clips
> at once, especially on older machines. I used to do HD recording
> with Pro Toos, so I know the sound and I know the reason why it is
> happening, as I coded the stack. But if it is a normal user who
> hears hectic activity from the HD and maybe audio starting to
> stutter while the app doesn´t do anything more but playing a few
> sound effects, I would think "What the hell is wrong with that
> Program? Do they scan/erase my HD?". Knowing that multichannel
> audio might not have highest priority I pray for someone writing an
> external  that works cross plattform.
>
> I would be willing to pay a few $$ for it and I guess some others
> would too, wouldn´t they? If so let the list know, someone might
> pick up the challenge...

there was once a commercial external for MetaCard named
"EXT.dll" (sic!) which had been
created and sold by a small scottish company named "Cross Worlds
Computing" about 5 or 6
years ago.

I bought one because it had some very nifty features for windows, for
example (besides other
nice things) un-/loading of a font on the fly and support for up to 4
soundchannels, so we
could play up to 4 (FOUR, maybe more, i don't remember...) sounds at
the same time without
the use of QuickTime.

Until today it is still unknown unfortunately IF that is the same
external that we found in the
"components/global environment" folder of Rev until version 2.6.1.

The good thing is, the company formerly known as "Cross Worlds
Computing" is now
named "Runtime Revolution", so the code obviously belongs to them.
(Does it?)

The bad thing is, until today nobody made an "official" comment about
this one IF it is
the same external as the one they used to sell. Why is this kept a
secret?

So in the meantime a third party wrote and sells a crossplatform
external for un-/loading fonts
on the fly, a fact which MIGHT have not been necessary.

(Nevertheless very good work Chipp and Chris :-)

Food for thoughts and (unnecessary?) speculations...

> All the best,
>
> Malte
>
> --
> ArcadeEngine - prepare to WOW your audience within minutes
> http://www.runrev.com/section/revselect/arcadeengine
> http://www.derbrill.com/arcadeengine/forum

Regards from germany

Klaus Major