SpeechLab - Granny Mckay's steam-driven computer

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Wed Feb 8 15:08:18 EST 2006

Hi Richard,

On Feb 8, 2006, at 10:00, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 13:16:30 -0500
> From: "Mathewson" <richmond at mail.maclaunch.com>
> Subject: SpeechLab - Granny Mckay's steam-driven computer
>
> As far as I understand things, RR does not have "strong
> speech capabilities"; what it does have is the ability to
> leverage any speech capabilities that may be present in the
> host operating system.

How so? I'm very interested in SR (Speech Recognition), but I have
never seen a Rev project that integrates well with, say, Dragon
Naturally Speaking software. Also, there are sooooo many different
sound cards for PC's, it's hard to be sure anything will work.

But, I should say I'm having a ball with SR in Mac's OS X, even with
just the standard SR software that comes in it. I have programs that
control onscreen cartoon robots (test modeling), and I regularly use it
to call on the phone (e.g., one is simply "call mom", which
automatically dials up my cheapo long distance service, then the
number, through the modem  ... works every time, so far).

I'm having increased disability using regular controllers, so it's
kinda self-serving, but it almost guarantees some practical usability.

As for TTS (Text o Speech), I've already successfully used phonemes for
increased inflection with a couple of OSX' standard voices to call my
dog. She _does_ respond.

But, that's all everyday Mac stuff which many of us have been using for
lotsa years.

All the best,
Ken N.