Massive XML docs

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Wed Feb 8 13:59:45 EST 2006

Todd-

I'm with Ruslan on this one. DOM is the fastest way to access xml
information, but the tree size will be huge (are you talking about a
single 100MB file rather than multiple files adding up to 100MB?). You
can write a SAX processor, in which case you won't have the whole tree
in memory, but your speed will drop noticeably. XML is nice in that
it's human-parseable as well as machine-parseable (notice I didn't say
readable), but it's quite a bloated format for both storage and
searching. Native xml databases provide speed for data storage and
retrieval but lack in querying speed unless they use significant
resources in indexing.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net