SpeechLab - Granny Mckay's steam-driven computer

Mathewson richmond at mail.maclaunch.com
Wed Feb 8 13:16:30 EST 2006

As far as I understand things, RR does not have "strong
speech capabilities"; what it does have is the ability to
leverage any speech capabilities that may be present in the
host operating system.

My Masters thesis was an attempt to write an Agent-like GUI
for people who knew nothing about computers to produce
small, functional educational applications for content
delivery and reinforcement.

What is not stated in the text of the thesis

(which, if you really feel the urge is currently available
at the "Richmond's RR Rantings" Yahoo Group:

is that my first prototype came badly unstuck because I
naively assumed that the PCs running various versions of MS
Windows used in schools run by Fife Council (Scotland) all
had speech capabilities. I had to swallow quite deeply and
depend on embedded AIFF files: this also meant that, to
ensure the whole jingbang was not glacially slow, I had to
prune down the phrases used by the 'character' who fronted
the GUI to a bare minimum.

It would be incredible if RR had 'portable' speech
capabilities - this would mean that one could stop worrying
about how one's application is going to work for Granny
McKay and her steam-driven computer!

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson
See Mathewson's software at:

http://members.maclaunch.com/richmond/default.html