Custom Icons for Windows Standalone

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue Feb 7 15:15:13 EST 2006

Recently, Ben Bock wrote:

> I'd like to create a custom icon for a standalone in Windows.
> Before I buy any software, I'd like to find what others'
> experience has shown.

If you're only building for Windows, then Axialis IconWorkshop is a pretty
comprehensive tool (does way more than just build icons).  Builds libraries
and has effects you use when creating icons.

If you're building crossplatform and you use Photoshop, IconBuilder 8 from
IconFactory does a great job of building for Win/Mac platforms.  It's a
plugin that ships with a bunch of additional resources (ie Photoshop
actions) that really streamlines the process.  In my experience, it builds
perfect ICO resources for Windows.

(I used to rely on Iconographer on MacOS but the latest version has
languished for a long time and has a bug that affects display of large
icons.)

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director