Newby questions: Using a table field as a spreadsheet

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 5 16:20:52 EST 2006

On 2/5/06 12:59 PM, "Ben Bock" <benbock at msn.com> wrote:

> 1) My application is a standalone that administers a series of "quizzes".
> Data will be invisibly stored in a separate stack or file.  User does not see
> results.  I would like to use a table field that will be located in a separate
> data stack, and be able to use it like a spreadsheet.  I can find no doc
> pertaining to using table fields like this.  Is this possible?
>
> 2) I'm trying to learn how to get the data to enter separate cells within the
> table field.  Any given quiz might have 10 to 60 items.  There will probably
> be 10-12 quizzes. It seems to me like a better idea for each quiz to have it's
> own field/file.
>
> 3) Or am I better off using separate tab-delimited fields for each
> item/variable?  Or a custom property?  The end intent is to be able to copy
> and paste into Excel, and then to a stats package.

You might try the approach of building either:

a variable with tabs as the itemdel, rather than a stack or file
then
set the clipboarddata to varTabDelData

a regular field with tabs as the itemdel, then
set the clipboarddata to field storedData

For visual marking, you could populate the field with commas, then
get field storedData
replace comma with tab in it
set the clipboarddata to it

If you are storing the answers on the user's computer and will later access
them, then
set the clipboarddata to url ("file:/HD/user/folder/storedData.txt")

Of course, if a comma could be in one of your answers, you could use "^" or
other as the item delimiter

Hope this helps

Jim Ault
Las Vegas