Assist a Newbee

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Sun Feb 5 15:21:20 EST 2006

Hi David,

Welcome to the cross-platform world ;-)
In fact, even if you were told that a stack built on any platform
runs on all others, it's right about the code (if your code is
right :-) but it's not about some other features. Mainly:

1. Fonts appearances: Rev has no responsibility. Even fonts with the
same name are not *exactly* the same on all platforms. To avoid
issues try to use Arial, Arial Black, Arial Narrow, Century Gothic,
Comic sans MS, Courier New, Georgia, Impact, Tahoma, Times New Roman,
Verdana, Webdings or Wingdings.
In addition, use some code as the following:

if the platform = "MacOS" then put 11 into tTextSize
else put 12 into tTextSize
set the textSize of fld <Field Name> to tTextSize

Just to give you the idea: often you'll have to have different
settings according to the platform.

2. Menus: they are handled differently according to the platform. Ken
Ray has explained that with his usual clarity and enthusiasm in a
conference stack you will find by going to http://support.runrev.com/
scriptingconferences/
There you will find a lot of other invaluable stacks to get you started.

Hope this will help you: when you'll master these aspects, you'll be
very very glad to build cross-platform apps with Rev.

PS. About your cursor issue, it sounds like wrong coding :-(

Le 5 févr. 06 à 19:20, David Mendriski a écrit :

<snip>

> I wrote my app on an IMac and it looks  and works great there.  I
> offered the app with the player for PCs to my friends. On the PC
> the cursor only appears outside of the app window, although the
> buttons hilite when the "invisible" cursor passes over them.  The
> font size became miniscule on the PC altho it was set to 18 points
> on my IMac.

<snip>

Best Regards from Paris,
Eric Chatonet