How to save data from standalone?

Marielle Lange mlange at lexicall.org
Sun Feb 5 13:01:20 EST 2006

Dear all,

I know this has been discussed many times before but somehow I
couldn't find definitive answers when searching the doc.

I have designed a neat application to manage my urls the cms way
(with technorati/delicious type of tagging for each url). You can
find an alpha version at: http://www.widged.com/products/
download_manager/. Cool features, keywords auto-completion, keywords
list management, etc.

Everything works fine when used in a revstack format. But in
standalone format, I cannot get the data to be saved between sessions.

All data in download manager are stored as custom properties. Three
questions:

1. I thought I had read on this list that custom properties were
saved in standalone format that there was no need to create a splash
screen to handle this. What did I get wrong?

2. If custom properties get saved when in standalone format, where do
they get saved? The issue there is that many computers allow for
multi-users mode. Data shouldn't be saved in the application itself
but in some user-specific location. So how is it managed?

3. If custom properties don't get saved when in standalone format,
where should I save the user's data between application uses? I don't
really want my user to have to open and save the data to a place of
its choice every time s/he opens the application. I just want the
freshly opened application to look exactly the same as last time the
user left it. On a mac, I understand this should be: User/library/
Preferences or User/Library/Application Support (with data going
preferably in the second rather than the first). What is it on a PC?

Many thanks,
I will post the answers on the codes CMS (http://codes.widged.com/). .

Marielle

--------