Advice needed on how to start a new PIM program

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Fri Feb 3 12:26:26 EST 2006

On 2/3/06 10:16 AM, "Dennis Brown" <see3d at writeme.com> wrote:

> I need to be able to cut and paste text from RTF emails or HTML web
> pages into a big scrolling field, like a blog of info. --limitations?

Well, if you copy data from HTML tables into Rev they won't appear properly
since Rev can't display HTML tables (you should get tab-delimited info,
though, so you can set the tabstops accordingly). You'll also get the font
used in the external program right after the paste, so you'll need to be
aware to reformat the data to correspond to the text attributes of your
field.

> I need to be able to drag and drop JPEG images from a screen capture
> program onto a card. --never did this before?

There's code on this tip you can use:

  Handling Drag-and-Drop From Outside Revolution
  http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/revolution/tips/mous002.htm

It shows how to drag and drop images either to an existing image object on
your card, or onto the card itself (so it will automatically create an image
object based on the drag).

> I will need to have a summary card that contains a table of a line of
> formatted info gathered from cards that meet certain criteria --no
> brainer

Right.

> The problem I see is that in Rev all the cards have to be in memory
> at the same time.  This stack could become large over time, as I
> don't want to discard old stuff, but want to keep it for future
> reference.  I could possibly take the big stuff like the images and
> save them in a folder to be displayed on demand --perhaps even using
> Preview.

I would definitely store the images externally and just reference them
inside the stack. You could also create an archive stack later on by
programmatically cutting and pasting cards from the main prorgam stack to
the archive stack and then saving that in a separate stack file.

HTH,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/