Offscreen Screencapture?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Feb 2 21:10:18 EST 2006

Recently, Phil Davis wrote:

>> I'm batting around the issue of screen capture on Windows again and am
>> wondering if anyone has found a way to capture offscreen content (ie a stack
>> with loc set to -1000,-1000).  This works fine on MacOSX but using the same
>> standard import snapshot routine fails on Windows (XP).
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> No suggestions, sorry, just observations...
>
> - Using 'export snapshot' I got a similar error on Mac today by shooting
> a rect in an offscreen stack, where the rect was that of a *hidden*
> image object. But as long as the image object visible = true, all is well.
>
> - On Windows I just tested this with 'export snapshot'. My results were
> same as yours. I also found that if I move my snapshot stack (or target
> rectangle) partly offscreen, only the ONscreen part of the rect is
> included in the snapshot output.

Thanks for the confirmation.  My experience is identical.  It was even worse
using the 2.5.x version of Rev: the engine (or IDE) would consistently lock
up on some kind of selection rectangle that could not be escaped from.
Control-alt-delete only.

(I have an effect stack that I'm hoping make available soon but it looks
like the Windows version will have to be somewhat klunky until the next
engine release.)

Thanks & Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director