using stacks on multiple computers

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Feb 1 23:54:48 EST 2006

John Vokey wrote:
> Jacqueline,
>   I routinely use dynamic path allocation (i.e., relative to the
> stack).  For example, to set the path to the folder "data" in the  same
> folder as the stack, I routinely use (in Metacard/RR):
>   --
>   --  Get/Set Paths
>   --
>   put the filename of this stack into thePath
>   set the itemdelimiter to "/"
>   delete the last item of thePath
>   put thePath&"/data/" into datapath
>
> But, although this approach works with Metacard and RR, it doesn't  work
> with DreamCard (at least, not DreamCard Player); I believe the  archives
> of this list document this fact.

Seems to work here okay. I just made a test stack and copied your script
into it, with this addtion at the end:

put datapath into fld 1

That way I could see what path was constructed. Wen I dropped the stack
onto DC Player and executed the script, I got the right path.

Maybe what you are experiencing is the inability of DC Player to
read/write files when secure mode is turned on (which is the default
setting in Player.) Even though the path is correct, no files can be
read from or written to until that setting is turned off. Could that be
what is happening?

You can turn off secureMode by launching Player and clicking the Rev
icon at the upper right of the window. Then quit and relaunch, and you
should be able to read/write to files. However, this doesn't help anyone
you may send your stacks to -- until they perform the same action on
their copy of Player.