Giant File Uploads With Rev CGI

jbv jbv.silences at club-internet.fr
Mon Dec 18 05:44:35 EST 2006

Sivakatirswami,

I have some limited experience in this domain.

For uploading amounts of data up to 200 Kb I've successfully used HTML
forms.
For larger volumes of data (up to 1 or 2 Mb) I've used a dedicated app made
with Rev (with Rev cgi on the server side). The main thing to take care of is
to adjust the sockettimeoutinterval so that the client app doesn't stop the
connection with the server before the upload is complete (this might happen if
the server is busy or / and if the end user has a low bw). I usually set that
parameter to 30000 or 45000 (30 or 45 sec).
I have no experience with larger files, but I guess I would go for a dedicated
app (not a HTML form) and I would use FastCGI on the server side.

JB