Fonts

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 17 07:13:06 EST 2006

Thank you both so much for replying.  I've actually posted to bugzilla about
this, but then had the second thought that maybe the list will have a simple
answer.

Yes, there is something odd about the font list as revealed by put.  Which is
the same incidentally as the font list offered by the text menu.  It has:

courier 10 pitch
bitsream charter
lucida typewriter
lucida bright
lucida
times
new century schoolbook
helvetica
clean
fixed.

Now, this is about 10% of the total system fonts.  I have used both gedit and
firefox to check what fonts other apps can see.  They can both see all 100
installed fonts.  They can also display them at any size I pick.  OpenOffice
does also, but this is not the best guide since it has its own peculiarities
about how it handles fonts.  Gedit however just uses the X11 fonts as
installed, as far as I know.

What I'm doing to generate the size problem (or the selection problem) is
this.  I take an object, say a field, and place it on a new card.  I type in
some text, select it. I can select any of the above fonts, but only those,
and they display properly at the default size.  I then either use the text
menu or the properties menu and try to make the font size bigger.  Up to 24
point all goes well, the size increases as expected, and displays as
expected.

I then pick 36, which is the next size up in the menu.  The text immediately
reverts to something like 12, maybe smaller.

So there are two things happening which seem like they shouldn't be - at
least, they don't happen like this in any other application.  One is that you
can't pick a lot of the fonts which other applications can see and pick.  The
second is that even for the ones you can pick, I can't seem to use any size
over 24.

The thing I can't figure out is, where Revolution is getting its font list
from, and how to either point it someplace else or put the other fonts there.
But its equally mysterious why it will only allow some sizes and not others
for the ones it sees!  And it really would be nice to be able to use
wingdings or symbol or whatever....

Peter