Is "../foldername" a sufficient reference

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Sun Dec 17 01:59:01 EST 2006

At 12:43 AM +0100 12/16/2006, Kresten Bjerg wrote:
>I wonder, whether there is a simple short way scripting for  a
>standalone in MacFAT & Linux ( where standalone consists of three
>files) to identify the parent folder, i.e. just naming it, without
>refering to grandparent and grandgrandparents etc -. We see  "
>../foldername".  often in the documentation, but I dont know, if
>that supposes the scripter to fill in series of parents above, or
>the "../" can be used literally?

Yes, it can be used literally. "../" means the parent of the defaultFolder, "../../" means the parent of that folder (the grandparent of the defaultFolder), and so on.

This actually is in the docs, in the article "About filename specifications and file paths" - but I'm not sure where what used to be the Encyclopedia has been placed in the current version of the docs...
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ revolution at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com