binary vs. text?

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Mon Dec 11 18:03:01 EST 2006

Chris,

When you import a file, you always want to do something with its
contents. Just check to see if the text contents fits the
destination. If not, it might be a binary file and you may need to
handle it differently.

There is another way. You could do a guess about the percentage of
spaces, returns, and alphanumerical characters in a normal text file
(nearly 100%) and in a binary file (significantly less). In those
cases that the actual percentage is lower than some treshold value,
assume it is a binary file. If the actual percentage is higher,
assume it is a text file. If the actual percentage is approximately
equal to the treshold value, ask the user.

You can store a copy of (a part of) the data in another variable, use
replaceText to remove all non-alfanumerical characters and calculate
the percentage. If you have a really large file, you don't need to
analyse the entire file.

Best,

Mark

--

Economy-x-Talk
Consultancy and Software Engineering

Download at http://www.salery.biz

Op 11-dec-2006, om 23:09 heeft Chris Sheffield het volgende geschreven: