Multi-standalone communication

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 9 13:18:16 EST 2006

On 12/9/06 9:37 AM, "J. Landman Gay" <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:
> Jim Ault wrote:
>
>> Glad you found and explored an easy 'send' method.
>> I did not know that you could simply 'send' between two standalones.
>> Does this really work on both Mac and Windows? or just Mac?
>
> Just Mac. It's a HyperCard compatibility command, and sends an appleEvent.

Thanks, and this will be better than UDP in one major category.  UDP is
limited to very small packets, thus not good for file transfer or large data
blocks.  The size is dependent on the network hardware, is not an exact
science, and is usually around 8K.  For my project, this works.  TCP can do
large data blocks but is about 10 times slower across the internet, but very
fast on the same computer.

Apps on the same Mac for most uses could make good use of the 'send'.  Web
servers would have to be Mac, so the original Rev CGI multi-thread idea gets
back to this limitation.

Are there any good example in RevOnline for this?

Jim Ault
Las Vegas