Revolution and the Web, feedback wanted, Part 1 of 3

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Fri Dec 1 22:40:39 EST 2006

> 3) It.  Doesn't.  Cost.  $5,000.  When you buy something on rebate,
> and you take it back later, do they give you the list price?  No?  Why
> was that?  Oh, right.  BECAUSE YOU PAID THE SALE PRICE.  Rant about
> the price when and if the price goes up.

$5k is the list price. Yes, they are running a promotion. We get
that. However, when evaluating technology I can't just weigh it
against the best promo price ever available. What happens if I don't
end up buying before the end of the promotion? What about down the
road when I need upgrades, or new licenses? You can bet that if you
form a long term relationship with the tool, you are going to end up
spending $5 on a seat at some point.

We can rant about the price going up, because it's extremely likely
that it will. They've already published the intended price - you
really think they don't intend on using it? The promo is great, but I
see absolutely nothing wrong with factoring the $5k price into your
own evaluation of the product.

Hey, if you personally have a project where you know you're just
going to pay the $1,700 that's great - but it doesn't necessarily
apply to everyone else.

If you want another analogy, should I evaluate a Compaq computer
system on the Walmart blowout prices after Thanksgiving? Since they
were selling for $400 instead of the normal $700, would it have been
wrong for me to compare the system to others based on the $700 price
tag? Or should I have just pretended for 24 hours that it was a "$400
product", even if I wasn't necessarily going to buy one that day?

- Brian