u3: where to store data?

Malte Brill revolution at derbrill.de
Tue Aug 29 19:06:36 EDT 2006

> I, too, want to WRITE to a specific folder on U3 drive (not a default
> documents directory). Let us know if you learn anything.

Hi all (and specially Chipp),

here is what I found with help from the mothership (thanks Marcus)

on mouseUp
   put $U3_APP_DATA_PATH into tPath
   replace "\" with "/" in tPath
   put "/test.txt" after tPath
   put "this is a test" into URL ("file:"&tPath)
   answer the result & cr & URL ("file:"&tPath) & cr & there is a
file tPath & cr & tPath
end mouseUp

This way the data ends up in the /app/data folder on the u3 drive.
Somehow it failed when I used "file://" no idea why.

Another script that I find handy is this (which I wrote in my
frustration about the meager specs)

on mouseUp
   repeat for each item theItem in the globals
     if "U3" is in theItem then
       put theItem && value (theItem) & cr after allU3Vars
     end if
   end repeat
   put allU3Vars
end mouseUp

Interesting what one can find out about the drive. ;-)

Hope this is of any help,

Malte