mics and sound recording

rand valentine jrvalent at wisc.edu
Tue Aug 29 13:09:45 EDT 2006

 Hi, all. I'm kind of an amateur at Revolution, in the sense that I don't
program for a direct living. But I use it a lot. I'm using Studio 2.7.2 on a
Mac 17" portable running the latest Tiger incarnation. I'm always
discovering new cool stuff in RunRev. Today I discovered the tools for audio
recording, and I've been experimenting. Since I use RunRev for building
language learning tools, this record thing is really useful. But I have a
couple of questions.

1. the recordInput setting lets you specify a recording source, with two
choices being "imic" for internal microphone, and "emic" for external
microphone. Now by my thinking, you should choose "emic" if you are plugging
a microphone into your computer, and "imic" if you're using the built-in.
But it doesn't seem to work this way. If I plug in an external mike and
choose "emic," _no_ recording is made. If I plug in an external with "imic"
chosen, I get a recording, but it's noticeably hissy. Does anyone have any
idea of what's going on here? I mean, what I am doing wrong, or what do I
not understand.

2. Is "dflt" a better setting, since it would look to the system for
guidance? Help! And thank you!

rand valentine