the need for hmac-sha1 (was Re: [partly OT?] Amazon S3, EC2, cyborgs)

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Aug 29 00:06:09 EDT 2006

On Aug 28, 2006, at 8:18 PM, Andre Garzia wrote:

> I can't do hmac by hand, but I can do a XSLT subset in about 200
> lines! :D

Actually, there is nothing to hmac.  If you have a digest function, I
can show you how to hmac it.  If you make unhex() and xorBytes()
functions, then it is one line.

Some folks are going to other SHA and other digests.

Maybe we need generic functions like digest() and mac() with options
that have standards-based names.  Those options can grow over time.

Dar