Steven Axtell saxtell at megavision.com
Mon Aug 28 22:21:31 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sarah Reichelt" <sarah.reichelt at gmail.com>
To: "How to use Revolution" <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2006 3:02 AM
Subject: Re: Loading Application into Memory

> On 8/27/06, Steven Axtell <saxtell at megavision.com> wrote:
> > I am writing a textbook-like application that consists of text and JPEG
figures.  The total size of the application is about 500 KB.  When I launch
the application, the first card comes up fast.  When I select a button to
bring up a second card, there is a fair amount of delay (about 2 seconds on
a Windows Pentium III, 1 GHz, 512 MB machine) before the second card comes
up.  It's as though the application is loading into memory at that time.
After that, all of the cards come up fast.  What can I do to get the
application to load into memory at launch?  Also, what would I need to do to
show a card briefly while the application is loading into memory?

> The mail application file will load into memory before showing the
> first card. If you have a very big app, the way around this is to have
> separate stack files for you sub-stacks, so that they load as needed
> and not all at once.
>
> Your problem sounds like something is happening when you go to the
> second card. Does the first card have a "closeCard" handler? Does the
> second card have a "preOpenCard" or "openCard" handler? To test, try
> locking messages and then going to the second card. If that is fast,
> then you have something happening - perhaps loading an image file. You
> may be able to delay it until after the second card is displayed.
>
> Cheers,
> Sarah

Sarah,

I am not using closeCard, preOpenCard or openCard handlers.  I am just using
simple "go to card 1" statements.  Card 2 doesn't have any images on it, so
there shouldn't be any delay due to that.  The only time I notice the delay
with the second card is when I run the application as a standalone
application.  When I am working with the application file (building the
application), there is no problem with delays between cards.  Also, after I
have launched the standalone application and went to card 2, I can go back
and forth between card 1 and card 2 without delay.  It gives me the
impression that all of the cards except card 1 are loading up into memory
when I go from card 1 to card 2.

I appreciate any more thoughts that you have on this.

Thanks,
Steve