answer files with filter

Robert Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Mon Aug 28 15:57:50 EDT 2006

Upon doing some testing for Mac OS X, if you use the "with filter"
clause, you MUST use the file type arguement, and no wild cards
characters are allowed in the file type. For example:

answer file "choose a file" with filter "F+PR,bob*.prg" -- allows
selection of all Foxpro Program files beginning with "bob" and ending
in ".prg"
answer file "choose a file" with filter "*,bob*.prg" -- no dice
answer file "choose a file" with filter ",bob*.prg" -- still no dice
answer file "choose a file" with filter "bob*.prg" -- nuh uh. nix. nada.

You can see that if you don't know the file type, the "with filter"
clause is useless to you. Also note, that on OS X you can SEE the
files, but cannot select them if they do not match the filter. Also
be aware that the file type IS case sensitive.

I think since this seems to work differently between Windows and Mac
OSes, you will need to include logic to handle different Oes.

Bob Sneidar
IT Manager
Logos Management
Calvary Chapel CM