Sending ArrowKey("down")

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sat Aug 26 06:14:53 EDT 2006

I have an arrowkey handler in a list field. when the user arrows down,
stuff happens...

I would like to be able to pass that arrow key down from a field  but i
can't get it to work:

the idea is: someone is typing in this field and when they are done,
they hit tab and the arrowkey msg is sent to the list field.

on tabkey
  send arrowkey("down") to fld  "fileList"
end tabkey

doesn't work

on tabkey
  send arrowkey(down) to fld  "fileList"
end tabkey

also doesn't work.

The field is not in a group, there is no group on the card
 and thus the field does not have tabbed behavior explicitely set,
but still if I tab from the field it goes to the next field on the card.

But the tabkey msg is sent, because  I do get  an error message say
"error in function: arrowkey("down")

The docs say:

"  Note:  Sending an arrowKey message does nothing unless there is an
arrowKey handler in the message path. This is a difference from
HyperTalk's handling of the arrowKey message."

So, it appears like it should work, but there's no example in the docs
on just exactly how to send an arrowKey message, which one assumes must
require a parameter to indicate which of the  four arrow keys one is
emulating.

I'm missing some thing simple

TIA
Sivakatirswami