Question: MacOS X Bundled Apache Server or Embeded Web Server?

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Wed Aug 23 23:03:35 EDT 2006

Ken,

I can't because of the paths. It will hard code the paths like /Users/
soapdog/somefolder... unless I make it hard coded as /Applications/
somefolder which everyone can have. The modules link to each other
and they must all reside in the correct linked folder. Do a
experiment, go to the terminal, choose a executable file at random
and type "otool -L" and the name of the file, you'll see where it is
linking.

For example, for our HT Digital magazine, which is built with
Revolution we get the following output:

otool -L /Applications/HT\ Digital\ Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/HT\
Digital\ Edition
/Applications/HT Digital Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/HT Digital Edition:
         /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/
Carbon (compatibility version 2.0.0, current version 122.0.0)
         /System/Library/Frameworks/QuickTime.framework/Versions/A/
QuickTime (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 11.0.0)
         /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit
(compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 120.3.0)
         /usr/lib/libz.1.1.3.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
current version 1.1.3)
         /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
current version 63.0.0)

See, if any of those files move, the app breaks (and belive me, this
are so generic libraries that moving them would break much more then
HT Digital). This also related to why some people can't run the
engine on their web hosts using ancient linux versions, because their
linux version is shipping with GLIBC 2.2 and Rev is linked against
2.3... dynamic linking solves many problems but introduces new ones.
Some times I just want to link everything as static and be happy.

Andre