Studio License Renewal Cost

dreamscapesoftware.com - List list at dreamscapesoftware.com
Sat Aug 5 02:21:48 EDT 2006

Lynn Fredricks wrote:
> The nearest competitor in terms of price/value is probably REALbasic,
> however 12 months of upgrades of REALbasic Professional Edition is $250, not
> $199. Revolution Studio creates applications for multiple platforms so its
> nearest analog to REALbasic is Pro, not Standard. REAL doesn't have any
> equivalent to getting all IDEs and they don't have an equivalent to
> Revolution Media. Revolution though, isnt an exact competitor to REALbasic -
> except in the "end result".

Thank you, but I am not referring to the nearest analog for price and features, but how the price of the upgrade compares to the original product....

REALbasic Standard is $99, and the Upgrade is $50.
REALbasic Professional is $500, and the Upgrade is $250.
- In both cases, the upgrade cost *about* 1/2 the original price

Revolution Studio is $299, and the Upgrade is $199.
Revolution Enterprise is $899, and the Upgrade is $499.
- in both cases, the upgrade cost is *about* 1/3 the original price

> Revolution pricing doesn't make professional developers blink but I can
> understand how it would for a hobbyist, especially if you have Studio. If
> you can put up with the limitations then Revolution Media really fits the
> bill.

I didn't realize that owning Revolution Studio meant that I am a hobbist.

Derek Bump
Dreamscape Software
www.dreamscapesoftware.com